With the signing of the Chickasaw Treaty on October 19, 1818, West Tennessee was opened to white settlers. The Tennessee General Assembly created Shelby County on November 24, 1819. September 5, 1821, Thomas Henderson was granted 640 acres for his service in the American Revolution (Military Warrant #767). August 14, 1830, Thomas Henderson sold the eastern half of his land (320 acres) to Emmanuel Young. Emmanuel Young defaulted on his taxes, therefore Joel Royster, a tax collector, purchased the land on January 6, 1831. The first mention of the Davies family in the Shelby County area is in 1838; a locator’s deed showing the purchase of land by William E. Davies. However, the 1850 census of lists William E. Davies as living with his family in Fayette County. His sons, Logan Early (age 14) and James Baxter (age 12) Davies, probably came back and forth on the Stage Road to oversee this farm, but lived with their father in Fayette County. In 1851, Logan and James bought the acreage with the log house from Joel W. Royster (who was moving his family into a plank house). Adjoining acreage was purchased in the following years and Davies Plantation eventually totaled approximately 2,000 acres.
It is unknown when or who built the original one room log cabin (parlor). Between 1831 and 1837, Joel W. Royster made additions to the house, including the addition of a dogtrot, full extension of the loft above the “parlor” and the two story bedroom area on the east side. In the 1860’s, the present dining room was added to house. The present kitchen was added after 1950.
While the small mound in the front yard of Davies Manor was not a “mound” in the accepted sense of Indian use, a few very small potsherds from the Woodland Indian Period were present. This is not surprising due to the presence of the Indian trail that wanders from Stage Road through the property and over Anderton Springs.