Manor House
Manor House
Davies Plantation began in 1821 as a 640-acre land grant and grew to over 2,000 acres at its peak (still fairly small by pre-Civil War standards). The Davies family owned and operated this property for over a hundred years beginning in 1851. African Americans also lived here – as slaves prior to the Civil War and as tenant farmers, sharecroppers, laborers, and domestics after the War. Cotton was the main crop grown here. Livestock, including horses, mules, and pigs, was also raised. Additionally, workers and landowners grew a variety of crops for their own consumption and as feed for the livestock.
« 1 of 24 »