Educational Opportunities at Davies Manor Plantation
- Group tours of our manor house museum and grounds. Tours can be modified based on what your class is studying or to accommodate larger groups. Admission is $5 for adults, $4 for seniors, and $3 for students, with a maximum of four chaperones’ free admission.
- Traveling suitcase program. We have developed a traveling trunk exhibit, designed to match educational curriculum standards in science, language arts, and social studies for K-5th grades. At this time, we offer one traveling exhibit, with lesson plans on Nineteenth Century Life, Using and Reusing Resources, and Eating and Learning. All lesson plans include story and/or letter writing assessment activities to fulfill language arts curriculum standards.Traveling Trunk Sample Curriculum Materials:
- Special visits like the quilting lesson described above. Special programs related to early Shelby County farm life, including quilting, gardening, and beekeeping, can be arranged with advance notice. Call 901-386-0715 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Girl Scout Programming. We can offer programs toward the fulfillment of several Brownie and Junior Girl Scout badges, including:
- Her Story (Brownie)
- Plants (Brownie)
- Listening to the Past (Brownie)
- Local Lore (Junior)
- Earth Connections (Junior)
- Folk Arts (Junior)
- Sew Simple (Junior)
- Other Programs. We are in the process of improving our educational programming. Keep checking back here for updates, or contact us if you have an idea not listed on this page.
If you would like more information or to receive e-mail updates about educational programs at Davies Manor Plantation, please e-mail the Museum Assistant, Jestein Gibson, at DaviesManor@gmail.com, or call 901-386-0715. Put “Davies Manor Education” as the subject line. If you have any questions, include them in the body of the e-mail.
Educators, please click here to fill out a brief survey to help us improve our educational programming.